Friday, May 05, 2006

Why am I doing this?

In case you hadn't read the intro above, this all started because I wanted 'normal' people to be able to add content to a web site without having to learn new tricks or buy expensive software. This web log itself is merely a vehicle I can use to join what someone types in Word or some pictures they've got in Picasa to a web page that they couldn't edit directly.

The software that joins things together is a combination of weird stuff we don't need to understand that links Blogger to Word or Picasa and an application that 'reads' my ramblings on the web log posts, translates them into something a web site can understand and then displays headings or headings + a few lines or even pictures, if I'm lucky, on the web site page. Because I haven't any money to spend I'm using free, open source, applications and trying them out. Some seem better than others. This may result in you getting blank bits or seeing a slightly different display from time to time. Sorry about that but hopefully I'll get the combination right soon and it'll settle down into something that will be really useful.

What's really nice is the way these posts can be picked up by netvibes.com and pageflakes.com too. Just thought I'd mention it, as I'm expecting a few visitors who might now know how I go on about them elsewhere! Don't mean to bore those of you that do.

RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. Hmmm. Anyone who wants to join in, just let me know via design@ahi2000.com or maybe even comment on the web log itself.

No comments: